We have all heard the old saying, “an apple a day, helps keep the Dr. away”. It’s true there are health benefits from eating apples, but do you actually know why? Here are just 10 of the many reasons why they help keep you feeling great, while saving time and money sitting in a Doctors office.
*Always choose organic when buying any apple because non-organic apples are sprayed with a high amount of pesticides and are coated in waxed, which does not digest.
1. Apples are full of soluble fiber (5 grams). Fiber reduces intestinal disorders, including diverticulitis, hemorrhoids and possibly some types of cancer. It helps control insulin levels by releasing sugar slowly into the bloodstream. It cleanses and detoxifies, which helps eliminate heavy metals, such as lead and mercury.
2. Apple pectin helps reduce cholesterol levels by lowering insulin secretion.
3. In two studies researchers found that, eating five apples a week lowered the risk for respiratory diseases like asthma.
4. According to Chinese medicine, apples strengthen the heart, quench thirst, lubricate the lungs, decrease mucous and increase body fluids.
5. Organic apple cider vinegar can help prevent the formation of kidney stones.
6. Studies indicate that eating apples daily can reduce skin diseases.
7. According to a Brazilian study, eating an apple before a meal, helped women lose 33% more weight than those who did not.
8. An apple has only 50-80 calories and has no fat or sodium.
9. Apples are packed with vitamins C, A, and flavonoids and with smaller amounts of phosphorus, iron and calcium.
10. Apples provide a source of potassium, which promotes heart health.
Source of information: Wikipedia, TheDailyGreen,
Image: Honest to Foodness