Many people who are very choosy about what they eat often forget that their skin is their largest organ, and what you put on your skin is absorbed into your body. Unfortunately, most conventional soaps, lotions, and other beauty products contain harsh chemicals and toxins.
If you decide to replace some of the most often used commercial products with health-sustaining natural ones, all you need is a jar of coconut oil and a few minutes of free time! This super food isn’t just great for better-balanced hormones, and a stronger immune system–it can feed your skin as well, leaving it soft, glowing and youthful-looking.
Once you’ve replaced your standard beauty products with coconut oil, you’ll never go back. Instead, you’ll be telling everyone about how you got such smooth, glowing skin.
Here are five easy-to-make beauty products that use coconut oil as a base. You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to incorporate coconut oil into your daily beauty routine and more importantly by the results!
- Makeup Remover – It doesn’t get much easier than this! Simply warm a bit of coconut oil between your palms and brush your hands over your face and eyes. Wipe the oil away with a damp cloth and you’ll be left with clear, clean, fresh skin.
- Deodorant – Conventional deodorants and antiperspirants contain aluminum, which has been linked to cancer. Luckily, homemade deodorant is quick and easy to whip up! Mix together 2 parts baking soda and 2 parts cornstarch with one part coconut oil. (For example: two tablespoons each of baking soda and cornstarch and one tablespoon of coconut oil). The coconut oil will keep your skin hydrated, while the baking soda takes care of odors, and the cornstarch keeps you dry. If you like, you can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil for fragrance.
- Toothpaste – To make homemade toothpaste, mix together equal parts coconut oil and baking soda. The baking soda will help keep your teeth white and shiny. Add a few drops of peppermint essential oils for a crisp, minty flavor. Some people also add a few drops of stevia for tooth-friendly sweetness.
- Shaving Oil – Coconut oil is the ideal shaving oil! Simply rub a generous amount onto your skin and use your regular razor to shave. When you’re done, you’ll find that your legs are smooth and clean – and you won’t even need to moisturize them.
- Body Butter – You can rub coconut oil directly into your skin. While it might feel a bit oily at first, it will all get absorbed. Some people find that their skin absorbs the oil more quickly when they apply it after a warm shower, while their pores are still open. Coconut oil is a wonderful moisturizer that will help keep your skin hydrated and youthful-looking.
* If you prefer something that smells a bit more feminine, it’s easy to whip up your own version of body butter using coconut oil as a base. Simply combine coconut oil with a few drops of your favorite essential oil (lavender, tea-tree and geranium are great for skin) and whisk it until it takes on a light, frothy texture. Scoop it into an airtight container or if you have leftover jars from creams that did not agree with you, clean them completely and use for your homemade body butters.
Thanks to MindBodyGreen