No Plastic Water Bottle in Your Car Please!

Leaving plastic bottled water or drinks in your car is dangerous!

Many of you may have heard this before, but this topic never gets old because new generations need to be informed as well at a young age. It’s never a good idea to leave a plastic water bottle in your car, but especially during the hot summer months. The truth is, any plastic container is a potential danger when heated. We want you to be aware of the dangers and why.

The toxicity debate of dioxin became famous in the 80s, when several dioxin dumps were exposed and reported to be in the United States. You will find a lot of information on the Web that describe dioxin as one of the most toxic substances on earth. Then you will see other references that claim it’s not as dangerous as it sounds. Nonetheless, it is certain that dioxin is dangerous, is a part of our environment, and accumulates in fat just like DDT. For certain animals, dioxin is an acutely toxic substance.

It is also certain that Dioxin is part of most plastic containers (not only water bottles).  Dioxin is toxic and is increasingly found in breast cancer tissue. Keep in mind that male and female have breast tissue. This toxin has been found in other cancer related diseases as well.

The good news is there are healthy alternatives for bringing your drinking water with you.  Use a stainless steel canteen or a glass bottle or cup instead of plastic, you eliminate the negative potential and you’re re-using the same container over and over, so the environment will be happy too!

Dioxin and microwaves don’t mix well either. Have you noticed the rough, torn line of the inside of your plastic containers after using them to cook in a microwave?  The combination of fat, high heat and plastic melts and releases dioxin into the food. Instead, we recommend using glass, such as Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating and cooking food … You get the same result, but without the poisonous toxin.

If you eat frozen dinners, instant soups, side dishes etc., they should be removed from their original containers and heated in something else. Use a pot and your stove top, oven or if you do use a microwave, make sure the contents are in glass or ceramic. Also try not to use plastic wrap to cover, instead use wax paper, a paper plate, paper towel or something along those lines that are not plastic

I do prefer the ‘old fashioned’ way to microwaving. Using toaster ovens, grills, stove top and your oven are the healthiest way to cook. It takes much less time than you think. I don’t miss the microwave at all!

Thanks to Howstuffworks.com and dioxinfacts.org

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply