Selflessness is the sincere concern for the well-being of others. It’s about love. It’s about compassion. It’s about kindness and faith. It’s about making a difference in the world. Sure, you are only one, but you ARE one! You cannot do everything, but you can do something. Smile and enjoy the fact that you have the ability to make a difference – one person at a time.
Make the words, “May I help?” part of your everyday vocabulary. Start today; choose one of these 10 selfless ways to Pay it Forward.
1. Hold the door open for the person behind you.
2. Introduce yourself. Make new colleagues, classmates, etc. feel welcome.
3. Clean out all your old clothes and donate them to someone in need. Your old is someone else’s new.
4. Listen intently to a friend’s problem without trying to fix everything.
5. Donate blood. One pint of blood can save up to three lives. Find your nearest blood drive.
6. Volunteer at a hospital, homeless shelter, nursing home, etc.
7. Donate cat and dog food to an animal shelter. Call and ask what is they need most.
8. Go to thrift store and buy a coffee mug for .50 cents and add an herbal tea bag. Give it to someone who is having a bad day as a thoughtful gift that’s less than a dollar.
9. When someone wants to repay you for something, ask him or her to pay it forward.
10. Leave encouraging post-it notes in library books, car windows and other random places.
Image by www.northernsun.com