Sweet Potatoes are an incredibly nutritious food that are packed with antioxidants like beta carotene, vitamins C, E & D, and minerals such as manganese and iron. They are also high in potassium which helps to lower blood pressure by removing excess sodium and regulating fluid balance in the body.
Sweet potatoes are an excellent anti-stress food and are known to help relax muscles, steady nerves, and balance cognitive function. They are also one of the best anti-cancer foods and can particularly help to prevent breast, colon, lung, skin, and oral cancers.
Sweet potatoes are known for being easy to digest and are very good for ulcers, inflamed colons, digestive disorders, and constipation. They also contain compounds called phytochelatins that can bind to heavy metals such as lead, mercury, copper, and cadmium and safely remove them through the body. The health benefits are the most bio-available when eaten raw or steamed. Baked sweet potatoes are delicious mashed with a drizzle of olive oil, coconut butter, or avocado. They are a comforting, satisfying, and very healing food, which you might consider finding more ways to include them into your diet.
Here’s a simple fat-free Sweet Potato Soup recipe made by roasting sweet potatoes until soft and then placing in a blender or food processor and blend until creamy smooth.
- 6 Sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup 1% Milk or plain Almond Milk
- 1 cup fat free Organic Chicken broth
- 1 tsp Orange zest
- Himalayan or Kosher Salt and black Pepper to taste
- Ground Chipotle or Chilli powder (optional)to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and mist with cooking spray or an olive oil mister.
- Spread out diced sweet potato evenly on baking sheet, mist lightly with an olive oil mister, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast in oven until potatoes are tender and begin to brown on the edges, about 30 minutes.
- Place potatoes, milk, zest and broth in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Pour into a small saucepan to re-heat if necessary, and season as desired with salt and pepper.
- Divide evenly into 6 serving bowls, and sprinkle with a dash of chipotle powder just before serving.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1 1/2 cups
PER SERVING: 132 calories; 1g fat; 28g carbohydrates; 3.5g protein; 4g fiber
Recipe and soup image from www.laaloosh.com